Chicken Pad Thai
Ever since I wrote about Pad Thai yesterday in my post about curry I haven’t been able to think about anything else…well not really I’ve just had a serious craving, so guess what was for lunch today? You guessed it, I made some Pad Thai. Eating this dish out in restaurants can have you splurging all your calories for that day for one little dish. Not this one. Mine is made with Tofu noodles and hardly any oil but I promise you won’t miss the extra calories. You can find tofu noodles at most any grocery store. They are usually located in the refrigerator section with the other tofu products usually located in the produce section. For awhile now I’ve been addicted to the blog Skinnytaste, I’m sure ya’ll have heard of it. She takes dishes that are normally high calorie and transforms them into a healthy and nutritious meals. I love that she adds the nutritional information for each recipe, it’s been a life saver when trying to menu plan with a certain calorie goal in mind. I’m going to try to start posting the nutritional information with my recipes as well. I think that will help out everyone making these dishes at home as well as myself when I go back to cook something I’ve already made! I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do!
Chicken Pad Thai with Tofu Noodles
adapted from Skinnytaste
serves 2 – 433 calories per serving
- 1 package (8oz) tofu noodles (I used the linguine type flat ones for this dish)
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 8 oz chicken thinly sliced
- 2 organic eggs
- 5 oz bag of bean sprouts
- 1 oz green onion chopped
- 1/4 cup crushed peanut
- fresh lime for topping
- pinch of red pepper flakes
For the seasoning:
- 1 1/2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1/2 tsp chili powder or more, to taste
- Prepare your noodles according to the package.
- Mix all of your seasoning ingredients together and set aside.
- In a large pan or wok heat the butter on medium high. Add chicken and cook until done, set aside.
- In the same pan heat sesame oil on high. Add garlic just until it’s fragrant, you don’t want it to burn. Add noodles and stir. Push noodles to one side of the pan and crack the eggs into the other side. Break yolks and let sit for half a minute then combine with the noodles.
- Add seasoning sauce
- Add the chicken, bean sprouts, and green onion to the noodles and stir. Stir in crushed peanut and red pepper flakes.
- Serve with lime