There aren’t many cookbooks where every. single. recipe. turns out to be fantastic. Sure you might get 3 or 4 that you really love but not the entire collection of over a 100. if it makes you healthy by Sheryl Crow and her personal chef Chuck White is one of the cookbooks I find myself reaching for every week, not only because the dishes are so good but because the recipes are healthy and most of them push the envelope just a bit, but not too much to be overwhelming for the everyday cook. Dishes like this blueberry salmon or the recipe for grilled sweet corn soup topped with garlic popcorn are dishes that make people have a bit of apprehension about making but then they fall head over heels in love with them. One thing I pride myself on is always making food that is a little bit different from what most people eat every day, a fried chicken panini with kimchi and miso mayonnaise or sweet potato tacos that will literally knock your socks off they’re that good. So please, if you’re thinking that blueberries and salmon sounds like a match made in hell, think again. I served this with crab and jalapeno hush puppies and a side salad. A non-mayonnaise slaw or even a non-mayonnaise potato salad would be great with this. It’s not that I don’t LOVE mayonnaise because I do, it’s that I think it would be too heavy with they fatty salmon and the sweet blueberry BBQ sauce. If you want to throw the salmon on the grill I think that would lend a great smoky flavor that would be pretty hard to top. Enjoy!
Oven Roasted Salmon with Blueberry BBQ Sauce
Adapted from if it makes you healthy by Sheryl Crown & Chuck White
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/4 cup diced yellow or white onion
- 2 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
- 1/4 cup ketchup (please.please.please use one without high-fructose corn syrup)
- 1/4 cup champagne vinegar or white wine vinegar (I’ve even added a splash of Pinot along with the vinegar & it was great)
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons Dijon Mustard
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1-2 teaspoons dried red chili flakes
- 2 cups fresh blueberries (I’ve used frozen in a pinch and it still came out great)
- Kosher salt and fresh ground back pepper
- Four 6-8oz salmon fillets
For the BBQ Sauce
- In a small saucepan, heat the oil over medium-high heat and add the onions. Saute until translucent and soft, about 2-3 minutes. Add in the garlic and stir until fragrant about 2 more minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low and stir in ketchup, vinegar, brown sugar, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, honey, and chili flakes. Cook until the sauce simmers.
- Add in the blueberries and cook for about 10 minutes keeping it at a simmer. Stir frequently to keep the sauce from scorching.
- Transfer the sauce to a food processor and puree until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. If the sauce is too thick add water 1 tablespoon at a time. Cool at room temperature.
For the Salmon
- Preheat oven to 400. To avoid a very sticky pan line it with aluminum foil and grease with a little oil.
- Season the salmon with sat and pepper and coat each fillet with a generous amount of the sauce.
- Bake the salmon for 5 minutes then brush with sauce again. Bake another 3 to 5 minutes longer or until the fish is to your desired temperature. Drizzle with more sauce if desired.